At the core, protecting information is being aware that certain types of data should be kept secure and private. Here is a list of fundamentals to get you started:
- Keep operating systems and applications up to date by applying all critical software patches.
- Use anti-virus software and keep it updated to protect against the latest threats.
- Use strong passwords with a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters, and change passwords regularly.
- Avoid using the same password for multiple websites, accounts, and applications.
- Know the type and volume of data you have and safeguard it accordingly.
- Back up data on a regular basis, and purge data that you are no longer required to keep.
- Protect laptops and other mobile devices from theft, protect them with a login password, and enable encryption when possible.
- Lock your computer and other devices when they are unattended.
- Before clicking on any links within an email, verify that the email is from a sender that you know and trust.
- Look for the lock icon and https:// prefix when logging in or entering sensitive information on web pages.
- Use the privacy and security settings on social networks to control who sees what you post.
Security and Privacy 101 Online Training